http://www.univision.com/los-angeles/kmex/noticias/educacion/usc-ofrece-un-programa-gratuito-para-certificarse-como-asistente-de-oftalmologia-video

Gabriela Teissier: Many complain that they go to college, pay high sums and then do not even find work. So, we will attack the problem backwards.  I present Cristian Martinez. Welcome to the studio, Cristian.

Cristian Martinez: Nice to meet you.

Teissier: So you’re studying to be an ophthalmology assistant. I didn’t even know that ophthalmologists needed assistants.

Martinez: Yes, many people do not know what an ophthalmology assistant is.  We help the doctor do all the tests, and anything else the doctor needs.

Teissier: Ok, here’s the thing, you can get an ophthalmology certificate with how much time invested?

Martinez: It’s, less than two years and then when you finish the program, you get certified to work in ophthalmology. There is a lot of work.

Teissier: There’s a lot of work?

Martinez: Yes.

Teissier: You already have a job and haven’t graduated yet?

Martinez: Yes, I have a job for two months.

Teissier: How wonderful and yet, you haven’t graduated yet.

Martinez: No.

Teissier: Tell me a little bit about yourself, you started college in San Francisco and you paid a lot of money for tuition.

Martinez: Yes, it was a lot of money and then I came back here to Los Angeles to study ophthalmology, and get into the program. It is a lot less money than San Francisco.

Teissier: Much less money and now you have a job.

Martinez: Yes, I have a job.

Teissier: I find it very interesting, these are the things that you do in ophthalmology school, right? I see you working there.

Martinez: Yes, yes.

Teissier: What do they do? Measure? Help the ophthalmologist do all the tests?

Martinez: Yes.

Teissier:  Prior to the doctor arriving and see them?

Martinez: MMMHM, yes, before the doctor comes in, we do all the tests, see patients, ask questions, and all that.

Teissier: And you wanted to be an ophthalmologist?

Martinez: Yes.

Teissier: And you will be able to continue with your career?

Martinez: Yes, when the program ends I want to go back to USC and study ophthalmology.

Teissier: Then after you get your certificate, when you start working, you already have experience and continue with your career?

Martinez: Yes, yes.

Teissier: Wow, it would have been very different if you had remained working on your career with all that time invested and there was no money to pay for that.

Martinez: No, no I like it this way. Doing the certification first, and then study ophthalmology.

Teissier: And are there many young adults studying this or is it new?

Martinez: It’s new… it’s not new but there are not many young adults studying this.

Teissier: And the fact that you speak Spanish is also very good.

Martinez: Yes, yes. If you speak Spanish it is better. You use Spanish every day with all the patients, many patients.

Teissier: And so you work in one…in an office with real people?

Martinez: Yes, in a hospital at USC.

Teissier: So you work at USC, you get paid a salary, go to school for your certification and you can continue with your career?

Martinez: Yes.

Teissier: I find the benefits very, very incredible.

Martinez: Yes.

Teissier: Your parents must be proud. Are you the first one going to college?

Martinez: Ah, yes the first.

Teissier: There you have it, here he is. If there are options, you have the ability to turn the problem around. If there are jobs, there are options. Thank you so much, Cristian.

Martinez: Yes, thank you very much

Teissier: Congratulations.

Martinez: You too.

#  #  #